Subject: Re: bug#69525: 30.0.50; MacOS: New warnings on stderr

From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2024 20:36:57 +0100

On Fri, Jul 26, 2024 at 09:24:36PM +0200, Gerd Möllmann wrote:
> Alan Third <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >
> >> Apple's documentation says
> >> 
> >>   Important
> >>   
> >>   NSTextInput protocol is slated for deprecation. Please use the
> >>   NSTextInputClient protocol instead.
> >> 
> >> I guess that's the reason for the warning, and we should switch to using
> >> NSTextInputClient.
> >
> > Looks that way. AFAICT NSTextInputClient should be available on all
> > versions of macOS we support and also in GNUstep, although it can be
> > hard to tell which versions of GNUstep support what.
> >
> > Some of these functions are just used for normal input, but many of
> > them are used exclusively for macOS input methods.
> 
> I find Apple's documentation of the protocol pretty bad, to say the
> least, and examples seem to be lacking completely. Don't know if I can
> pull that off.

Yeah, I was trying to work out what the actual differences are between
them and I suspect they're fairly minimal, but I don't know how we
should handle insertText:replacementRange: vs the current insertText:,
for example.

The new one takes a range and the old one doesn't. IMO it's none of
the window system's business where we insert the text, so do we just
ignore it? That might cause issues if we're dealing with the language
input stuff, so we might need to fiddle with that a bit (it was mostly
contributed by someone who actually used it).

I would agree that Apple's documentation is abysmal. AFAICT most new
features are exclusively documented in WWDC talks, so if you're not
immersed in the Apple eco-system it can be very hard to keep track of
what's changed. I assume that's some sort of marketing ploy.
-- 
Alan Third