Subject: 1gb file too big for Emacs to handle?

From: Robert Boyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 22:39:29 -0600

Dear Emacs bug exterminators,

My problem persists.  I very strongly believe that I have an example of a
bug in Emacs.

I have previously reported this.  I got some advice.  It did not solve my
problem.

Today I got a new, much bigger and better Chromebook, again from Lenovo.
This
one cost me $300, but it has 8gb of core and tons more disk.

On my newest Chromebook I see the following:

> free
               total        used        free      shared  buff/cache
available
Mem:         6736092     1194036     4052888       52208     1489168
5542056
Swap:              0           0           0

I do not understand these things at all well, but it looks to me like I now
have 4gb of free space.

So I think it is fair for me to report my real problem, again, almost
exactly
as I did before.

The 1 gb file for which I give a url below does not seem to work in Emacs.

The file enumerates the primes below 10^9, so it would be very handy to
have around.

I can find the file, literally, into an Emacs buffer.

But then I cannot move to the bottom, i.e., using M->.  In fact, in the
attempt to
move to the bottom, things go so badly that Emacs freezes, and I
have to kill Emacs
by 'extraordinary measures'.

Is this file just too big for Emacs to handle?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IaRNZ1rUQAZ72A7rJYpescmnJhpuGliA/view?usp=sharing

Please, before you reply, fetch that file, find it literally, and see if
you can move to the bottom with M->.  I'd love to know whether you can do
that.

Thanks,

Bob

I enclose now the info that I believe you like to get with a bug report.

From: bob <bob@penguin>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 28.2; 1gb file too big for Emacs to handle?
--text follows this line--

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.37,
cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2023-05-13, modified by Debian built on x86-ubc-01
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12014000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --with-cairo --with-x=yes
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs-mPr7Vr/emacs-28.2+1=.
 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall'
 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Shell

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail comp comp-cstr warnings rx cl-extra help-mode time-date
cus-start etags fileloop generator xref project dired-aux cus-edit pp
cus-load wid-edit trace sh-script smie executable dired dired-loaddefs
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs ange-ftp shell pcomplete comint
ansi-color ring benchmark time rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils face-remap finder-inf package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 155179 10068)
 (symbols 48 12889 1)
 (strings 32 39546 3792)
 (string-bytes 1 1274680)
 (vectors 16 25493)
 (vector-slots 8 454855 22628)
 (floats 8 52 30)
 (intervals 56 1484 0)
 (buffers 992 22))