Subject: bug#69519: closed (Re: bug#69519: 1gb file too big for Emacs to handle?)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 19 May 2024 23:04:02 +0000

Your bug report

#69519: 1gb file too big for Emacs to handle?

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
69519: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=69519
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#69519: 1gb file too big for Emacs to handle?
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Robert Boyer <[email-masked]>, Bruno Barbier <[email-masked]>
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 May 2024 01:01:50 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Robert Boyer <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Using GNU Emacs 29.2 (emacs -Q), opening it literally when asked, then
>> moving to the end (M->) is instantaneous for me.
>
> Hurray for you heroes.  I look forward to 29.2

I guess this is fixed in Emacs 29.2, so I'm closing this bug now.

BTW, prefer Emacs 29.3 to 29.2 if at all possible.

Subject: 1gb file too big for Emacs to handle?
From: Robert Boyer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 22:39:29 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Dear Emacs bug exterminators,

My problem persists.  I very strongly believe that I have an example of a
bug in Emacs.

I have previously reported this.  I got some advice.  It did not solve my
problem.

Today I got a new, much bigger and better Chromebook, again from Lenovo.
This
one cost me $300, but it has 8gb of core and tons more disk.

On my newest Chromebook I see the following:

> free
               total        used        free      shared  buff/cache
available
Mem:         6736092     1194036     4052888       52208     1489168
5542056
Swap:              0           0           0

I do not understand these things at all well, but it looks to me like I now
have 4gb of free space.

So I think it is fair for me to report my real problem, again, almost
exactly
as I did before.

The 1 gb file for which I give a url below does not seem to work in Emacs.

The file enumerates the primes below 10^9, so it would be very handy to
have around.

I can find the file, literally, into an Emacs buffer.

But then I cannot move to the bottom, i.e., using M->.  In fact, in the
attempt to
move to the bottom, things go so badly that Emacs freezes, and I
have to kill Emacs
by 'extraordinary measures'.

Is this file just too big for Emacs to handle?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IaRNZ1rUQAZ72A7rJYpescmnJhpuGliA/view?usp=sharing

Please, before you reply, fetch that file, find it literally, and see if
you can move to the bottom with M->.  I'd love to know whether you can do
that.

Thanks,

Bob

I enclose now the info that I believe you like to get with a bug report.

From: bob <bob@penguin>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 28.2; 1gb file too big for Emacs to handle?
--text follows this line--

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.37,
cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2023-05-13, modified by Debian built on x86-ubc-01
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12014000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --with-cairo --with-x=yes
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs-mPr7Vr/emacs-28.2+1=.
 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall'
 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Shell

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail comp comp-cstr warnings rx cl-extra help-mode time-date
cus-start etags fileloop generator xref project dired-aux cus-edit pp
cus-load wid-edit trace sh-script smie executable dired dired-loaddefs
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs ange-ftp shell pcomplete comint
ansi-color ring benchmark time rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils face-remap finder-inf package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 155179 10068)
 (symbols 48 12889 1)
 (strings 32 39546 3792)
 (string-bytes 1 1274680)
 (vectors 16 25493)
 (vector-slots 8 454855 22628)
 (floats 8 52 30)
 (intervals 56 1484 0)
 (buffers 992 22))