Subject: bug#6950: closed (Re: bug#6950: Invisible parts and editing - reveal them?)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 15:49:02 +0000

Your bug report

#6950: Invisible parts and editing - reveal them?

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
6950: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=6950
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#6950: Invisible parts and editing - reveal them?
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 13:00:37 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Eh, sorry, you are right. reveal-mode takes care of this. I thought I
> had it on, but for some reason I had commented it out.

Good, so I can close the bug.

> by default. That it is on by default seems good. What is the reason
> reveal-mode is not on by default? (I have a feeling there was some
> small problem, but I can't remember now.)

I suspect it could take some more work to make it robust enough to be ON
by default.  But I encourage everyone to (global-reveal-mode 1) in their
.emacs and post patches for the problems they encounter.

        Stefan

Subject: Invisible parts and editing - reveal them?
From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
To: Emacs Bugs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 20:08:22 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In reveal-mode hidden parts gets shown when you found a hit there with
isearch. That is very useful.

However when you edit such parts they normally do not get visible even
if reveal-mode is on. This is a problem for example if you are using
viper and do "o" to open a new line below the current line when the
lines below are hidden. (I am sure there are other examples with
default Emacs commands. Please give examples.)

This hits quite often in org-mode.

Could we please add some mechanism to show the point when this happen?