Subject: bug#69492: closed (Re: bug#69492: File too big for Emacs?)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 18 May 2024 22:58:02 +0000

Your bug report

#69492: File too big for Emacs?

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
69492: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=69492
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#69492: File too big for Emacs?
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Robert Boyer <[email-masked]>, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 May 2024 22:56:02 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Robert Boyer <[email-masked]> writes:

> You are so right.

No further comments within a couple of months, so I'm closing this bug
now.  If this conclusion is incorrect and this is still an issue, please
reply to this email (use "Reply to all" in your email client) and we can
reopen the bug report.

Subject: File too big for Emacs?
From: Robert Boyer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: J Moore <[email-masked]>, Alan Bundy <[email-masked]>, Grant Passmore <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Stas Boukarev <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 17:30:56 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Dear Emacs bug exterminators,

The 1 gb file for which I give a url below does not seem to work in Emacs.

The file enumerates the primes below 10^9, so it would be very handy to
have around.

I can get the file into an Emacs buffer in literal mode.  Thanks for that.

But then I cannot move to the bottom, i.e., using M->.  In fact, in the
attempt to
move to the bottom, things go so badly that I have to reboot my $100
Lenovo Chromebook.

Is it just too big for Emacs to handle?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IaRNZ1rUQAZ72A7rJYpescmnJhpuGliA/view?usp=sharing

Thanks,

Bob

P. S.  Maybe this is some kind of joke.  In 1972, J Moore and I coded the
'77 editor', which could handle
a file of any size, using the 'pieces' approach that Microsoft later
adopted.  I'll try to see what
I can do with Word, if I can afford a copy.  Alas, the ICL 4130 on which
the 77 editor ran is no longer available.
I think that ICL was absorbed into Fujitsu, the cause of the British postal
scandal.

Here's the stuff you like with bug reports.

From: bob <bob@penguin>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 28.2; File too big?
--text follows this line--

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.37,
cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2023-05-13, modified by Debian built on x86-ubc-01
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12014000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --with-cairo --with-x=yes
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs-mPr7Vr/emacs-28.2+1=.
 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall'
 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail time-date help-fns radix-tree cl-print debug backtrace
help-mode find-func dired-aux cus-edit pp cus-load wid-edit trace
sh-script smie executable dired dired-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs ange-ftp shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring benchmark
time rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils face-remap finder-inf package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 135967 8344)
 (symbols 48 11618 0)
 (strings 32 36783 2556)
 (string-bytes 1 1163174)
 (vectors 16 21452)
 (vector-slots 8 422610 15484)
 (floats 8 52 74)
 (intervals 56 625 0)
 (buffers 992 19))