Subject: Re: bug#69463: 29.2; Isearch help icon has inconsistent size

From: Sergio Callegari <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 18:57:31 +0100

With the hope to help others, I have managed working around the issue.
This involves going through Options->Customize Emacs->Options Matching
and then entering `x-gtk` in the modeline. In the customization buffer 
that opens, search for X Gtk Stock Map and then for 'help-browser'. 
Substitute 'help-contents' for it in "Named". Then save state so that it 
is used in the following sessions too.

Apparently, there is a lack of coordination on how icons should work 
between the breeze developers and the gnome/gtk community regarding who 
should be in charge of sizing the "scalable" icons to the correct size 
and how to pass hints about this.

My understanding is that breeze developers do not think that this is a 
bug on their side and that emacs should care of displaying the icons at 
an appropriate size.

On 03/03/2024 18:09, Juri Linkov wrote:
>> Can you please help me understand the way in which it is "system dependent"?
>>
>> Where are the I-search toolbar icons sought on the system? Is it emacs
>> installing them or are they supposed to be system or theme provided icons?
> 
> This is what I see while resizing the frame: when decreasing the width
> of the frame then I-search toolbar icons get removed one by one
> from the right side of the toolbar, so the toolbar never overgrows.
> 
>> That is definitely a life buoy, but not the life buoy that is shown as
>> the help icon when I press CTRL+s. In fact, it is the life buoy that I
>> see in most emacs screenshots on the internet. Most important this one
>> seems to have the right size.
> 
> I don't see this life buoy on GTK.
> 
>> I need help on the following points:
>>
>> - Why is that breeze icon being picked? Is there a way to force emacs to
>> use its own icons? Theming would be nice, but done in this way, with a
>> wild mixture of breeze icons and native emacs icons it is simply messy.
>>
>> - Why is that breeze icon not scaled? All other applications on my
>> system appear to scale their icons consistently.
> 
> I don't know how that breeze icon looks like.  What I see is
> an icon with a blue question mark.
> 
>> My issue seems to be the same as
>> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=23847#31.
>> The whole thread is interesting.
> 
> Thanks for the reference.  It could help anyone
> who knows how to fix this bug.