Subject: bug#69463: 29.2; Isearch help icon has inconsistent size

From: Sergio Callegari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 18:02:57 +0100

When you press CTRL+s, I-search is activated, that provides a custom
toolbar with dedicated icons and lets one enter what to search in the
mode line.

Unfortunately, in the toolbar there is a help icon, shaped as a life
buoy, that is too big or at least inconsistently big wrt the other icons.
As a consequence, when I-search is activated the emacs windows
becomes bigger to accomodate space for the taller toolbar.

Not only having the window changing its size causes some inconvenience
because the text you are trying to focus on moves up and down. There is
a major problem if the emacs window is already vertically maximized
before you start searching. In fact, in this case there is no space for
the window to grow. As a consequence, the mode line goes out of the
screen and you cannot use it to search!

In GNU Emacs 29.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.40,
cairo version 1.18.0)
System Description: Manjaro Linux

Configured using:
  'configure --with-pgtk --with-native-compilation=aot --sysconfdir=/etc
  --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib --with-tree-sitter
  --localstatedir=/var --with-cairo --disable-build-details
  --with-harfbuzz --with-libsystemd --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
  -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
  -Wformat -Werror=format-security -fstack-clash-protection
  -fcf-protection -g
  -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs/src=/usr/src/debug/emacs -flto=auto'
  'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now -flto=auto'
  'CXXFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions
  -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
  -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS -g
  -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs/src=/usr/src/debug/emacs -flto=auto''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_COLLATE: en_IE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MONETARY: en_IE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_IE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: en_IE.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   delete-selection-mode: t
   recentf-mode: t
   cua-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/callegar/.emacs.d/elpa/jsonrpc-1.0.24/jsonrpc hides 
/usr/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/jsonrpc
/home/callegar/.emacs.d/elpa/eglot-1.17/eglot hides 
/usr/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/progmodes/eglot
/home/callegar/.emacs.d/elpa/eldoc-1.15.0/eldoc hides 
/usr/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/eldoc

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils comp comp-cstr warnings
icons cl-extra help-mode delsel recentf tree-widget wid-edit cua-base
cus-load adaptive-wrap-autoloads info auctex-autoloads tex-site
eglot-autoloads eldoc-autoloads json-mode-autoloads rx
json-snatcher-autoloads jsonrpc-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk
lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 117764 9265)
  (symbols 48 10451 0)
  (strings 32 30304 1533)
  (string-bytes 1 905280)
  (vectors 16 20919)
  (vector-slots 8 416905 10928)
  (floats 8 44 53)
  (intervals 56 276 0)
  (buffers 984 11))