Subject: bug#69462: closed (Re: bug#69462: 29.2.50; describe-function should support finding references)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2024 00:08:02 +0000

Your bug report

#69462: 29.2.50; describe-function should support finding references

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
69462: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=69462
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#69462: 29.2.50; describe-function should support finding references
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2024 03:07:03 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Pushed to master in revision c8ecd7fa0da. Closing, but feedback welcome.

On 28/09/2024 02:01, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> Hi!
> 
> On 28/02/2024 19:31, Spencer Baugh wrote:
>>
>> In emacs-lisp-mode in an Emacs git checkout, M-? (xref-find-references)
>> nicely searches the load path for references to a symbol.
>>
>> It would be neat if this feature could be accessed from
>> describe-function and describe-variable as well, perhaps by just hitting
>> M-? in the help buffer.
>>
>> The feature may need to be redesigned somewhat, since it's currently
>> dependent on being run from a project; to use it from a
>> describe-function help buffer, we'd want to only search the load-path.
> 
> Reusing the Elisp backend seems the easiest approach.
> 
> Caveats:
> 
> * You need to press RET after M-? like anywhere else (unless xref- 
> prompt-for-identifier is customized).
> * A bit hackish change in 'xref-backend-definitions'.
> 
> Pros:
> 
> * Both M-? and M-. work on anything that looks like symbol in the help 
> buffer, quoted or not - though there will be false positives like usual.
> * Can be similarly added to cl-describe-type.

Subject: 29.2.50; describe-function should support finding references
From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 12:31:13 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In emacs-lisp-mode in an Emacs git checkout, M-? (xref-find-references)
nicely searches the load path for references to a symbol.

It would be neat if this feature could be accessed from
describe-function and describe-variable as well, perhaps by just hitting
M-? in the help buffer.

The feature may need to be redesigned somewhat, since it's currently
dependent on being run from a project; to use it from a
describe-function help buffer, we'd want to only search the load-path.

In GNU Emacs 29.2.50 (build 4, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.15.12, Xaw scroll bars) of 2024-02-28 built on
 igm-qws-u22796a
Repository revision: 46e23709d37943a20faa735c97af520196a443e9
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Rocky Linux 8.9 (Green Obsidian)

Configured using:
 'configure 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3' --with-gif=ifavailable
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM
XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(help-mode pp shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media
puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived
epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 66391 8487)
 (symbols 48 9599 1)
 (strings 32 23263 2684)
 (string-bytes 1 688577)
 (vectors 16 10405)
 (vector-slots 8 158153 18632)
 (floats 8 44 18)
 (intervals 56 259 0)
 (buffers 976 11))