Subject: [PATCH v2 0/5] Update Noto fonts and switch them to variable fonts (77% size reduced).

From: Hilton Chain <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 11:08:31 +0800

V1->V2: Simplify phases and add extra outputs.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ ./pre-inst-env guix build font-google-noto | xargs guix size
store item                                                       total    self
/gnu/store/3xvvlfcffnyp0qdczlqjjzzwb6ylr8dx-font-google-noto-24.2.1-ttf   431.3   431.3  87.1%
/gnu/store/668z8k5qw3prsm7lhk33wym1hszdc4r3-font-google-noto-24.2.1    63.8    63.8  12.9%
total: 495.1 MiB

$ ./pre-inst-env guix build font-google-noto-sans-cjk | xargs guix size
store item                                                       total    self
/gnu/store/im0c6mgyxnvbz4h9dc22vg6h3lqmh9c6-font-google-noto-sans-cjk-2.004-otf   340.6   340.6  84.7%
/gnu/store/7ihawxmfk5z9ji544l6i1nh0is315h9q-font-google-noto-sans-cjk-2.004    61.6    61.6  15.3%
total: 402.2 MiB

$ ./pre-inst-env guix build font-google-noto-serif-cjk | xargs guix size
store item                                                       total    self
/gnu/store/qp5d7yrq3vnmfil1y4m2gbz8z114w6dw-font-google-noto-serif-cjk-2.002-otf   343.7   343.7  86.4%
/gnu/store/xr6w9vfbqval1g5238b3d9wcp7vgcydv-font-google-noto-serif-cjk-2.002    54.2    54.2  13.6%
total: 397.9 MiB
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Before:
--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix size font-google-noto font-google-noto-sans-cjk font-google-noto-serif-cjk
store item                                                       total    self
/gnu/store/jcaffgp0yzjh3y0c6lfgdazhmrbh26nn-font-google-noto-23.11.1   564.2   564.2  65.5%
/gnu/store/qrw5hdllxp8r006rzkplma7r5is5li7g-font-google-noto-serif-cjk-2.001   173.2   173.2  20.1%
/gnu/store/afgaar19vjahvxxnx2xy7807l74v62wj-font-google-noto-sans-cjk-2.004   124.6   124.6  14.5%
total: 862.0 MiB
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

After:
--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ ./pre-inst-env guix size \
      /gnu/store/668z8k5qw3prsm7lhk33wym1hszdc4r3-font-google-noto-24.2.1 \
      /gnu/store/7ihawxmfk5z9ji544l6i1nh0is315h9q-font-google-noto-sans-cjk-2.004 \
      /gnu/store/xr6w9vfbqval1g5238b3d9wcp7vgcydv-font-google-noto-serif-cjk-2.002
store item                                                       total    self
/gnu/store/668z8k5qw3prsm7lhk33wym1hszdc4r3-font-google-noto-24.2.1    63.8    63.8  35.5%
/gnu/store/7ihawxmfk5z9ji544l6i1nh0is315h9q-font-google-noto-sans-cjk-2.004    61.6    61.6  34.3%
/gnu/store/xr6w9vfbqval1g5238b3d9wcp7vgcydv-font-google-noto-serif-cjk-2.002    54.2    54.2  30.2%
total: 179.5 MiB
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Hilton Chain (5):
  gnu: font-google-noto: Update to 24.2.1.
  gnu: font-google-noto: Prefer variable fonts and split outputs.
  gnu: font-google-noto-emoji: Update to 2.042.
  gnu: font-google-noto-sans-cjk: Switch to variable fonts.
  gnu: font-google-noto-serif-cjk: Update to 2.002.

 gnu/packages/fonts.scm | 93 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------
 1 file changed, 79 insertions(+), 14 deletions(-)

base-commit: 8c0282cf543fe205a5b89201cd7bb8889121a07c
--
2.41.0