Subject: bug#6942: 24.0.50; Uses 100% CPU and eats memory with trivial C++ code

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 13:05:16 +0000

Hi, everybody!

On Sat, Sep 04, 2010 at 02:43:12PM -0400, Chong Yidong wrote:
> Óscar Fuentes <[email-masked]> writes:

> > emacs -Q [ENTER]
> > C-x C-f foo.cpp [ENTER]
> > template <typename T,

> > As soon as the comma is typed, Emacs hangs and starts eating several MB
> > of RAM per second. Pressing C-g takes effect after a few seconds.

When the comma is typed?  You should be so lucky!  I get an infinite
recursion on typing the <, after which nothing should surprise.  ;-)

> Thanks, I can reproduce the bug.  It seems to a regression due to the
> 2010-07-31 template changes in CC mode.  Alan or Nathaniel, could either
> of you please take a look?  Thanks.

The infinite recursion is in c-forward-<>-arglist-recur, a function which
has been changed quite a bit recently.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).