Subject: [bug#69414] [bug#69911] [PATCH gnome-team 0/6] GNOME 44.10 update

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 15:23:15 +0000

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Christopher,
>
> Christopher Baines <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Vivien Kraus <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Le mercredi 20 mars 2024 à 10:42 +0000, Christopher Baines a écrit :
>>>> Is there anything that needs to happen before gnome-team can be
>>>> merged?
>>>
>>> There are concerning failures, such as lightdm, that must be
>>> investigated. QA has also highlighted flaky tests in a bunch of
>>> packages, and a time-bomb (kcalendarcore).
>>
>> I had a go to looking in to lightdm not building and it looks to maybe
>> be dbus related, but I've got no idea really. Debian and nixpkgs don't
>> even run the test suite as far as I can tell. I also tried the system
>> test and that seems to pass. So maybe we raise the issue with upstream
>> and disable the testsuite for now.
>
> I'd rather we spend a bit of time investigating the underlying failure
> and engage with upstream if there's a need.  Setting #:tests? #f is
> easy, but it means the sometimes serious efforts that were needed to
> enable the test suite go into bitrot, making it harder to re-enable at
> a later time (thus unlikely).

To elaborate on the point I'm trying to make, having spent a bit of time
looking in to this specific issue, I don't think it's worth blocking the
gnome-team merge over an issue with running the lightdm testsuite.

Obviously if there's actually an issue with lightdm, then that's
different. This is also somewhat personal since I've got almost no
knowledge about lightdm or the dbus problems I suspect might be related.