Subject: Re: bug#69391: 30.0.50; `enable-command' doesn't permanently enable `help-fns-edit-variable'

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 09:40:10 -0500

> Stefan, is there a better way than convert the form we have in
> help-fns.el:
>
>    (put 'help-fns-edit-variable 'disabled t)
>
> into an autoload comment, like we do, e.g., with
> dired-find-alternate-file?

If we want to allow third party packages to use that `disabled`
functionality, maybe we should instead change the code that inserts
the

    (put 'help-fns-edit-variable 'disabled nil)

E.g. we could try to make it insert

    (with-eval-after-load 'help-fns
      (put 'help-fns-edit-variable 'disabled nil))

tho I suspect this will happen too late for autoloaded functions.
Or we could make it do

    (put 'help-fns-edit-variable 'disabled-override t)

and change the code that checks `disabled` accordingly.

        Stefan