Subject: bug#6935: 24.0.50; doc for `font-lock-maximum-decoration'

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 15:49:41 +0200

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:

> 1. For one thing, the Emacs manual deals with it only using a `setq'
> example:
>
>   (setq font-lock-maximum-decoration
>         '((c-mode . 1) (c++-mode . 1)))
>
> We should tell users how they can use Customize for customizing it.
> (No, it is not obvious how to do that.)  We should not be privileging
> Lisp code in .emacs this way - especially fairly complex Lisp code.

For examples of complex variables like this, I find Lisp code a lot
clearer than convoluted Customize settings.  So this is not a bug, in my
opinion. 

> 2. The doc string and the Customize help for it (same thing) do not help
> much either.  In particular, they are missing the info that if you add
> an entry for one or more modes, then you will likely want to also add
> a catch-all entry for all other modes.

The doc string seems to have been fixed in this regard, with a pretty
clear example.

> 3. Also, to understand what the choice of `level' means here, users need
> to know about fontification levels.  At least a minimum of info about
> that needs to be presented in the Customize (= doc string) help.

I've now mentioned that higher levels mean more fontification.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/