Subject: Re: bug#6935: 24.0.50; doc for `font-lock-maximum-decoration'

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 12:33:00 +0200

> But you apparently disagree with yourself in that case, since you
> argue both for letting them move to a lower level and not letting them
> change level at all (no levels).

Not I do not argue for them to be able to lower the level.  That's just
the functionality currently provided, and which I dislike.

> Be specific.  Which different font-lock features for which mode?
> You're just hand-waving, saying that we could split fontification into
> a set of "features" rather than a set of levels.  Sounds fine at that
> level of abstraction (simply replacing numeric "levels" by boolean
> "features"), but the proof is in the pudding.

I see no need for being more specific: whenever a particular need
arises, we add a corresponding config.

> Sure, there are lots of such considerations.  I don't oppose
> a superior design that gives users _more_ control over what gets
> highlighted, where, how much, etc.

I'm glad we agree.

> But where's the beef?  Where's the specific proposal?  Don't just say
> we should drop the user control we do offer without offering something
> better.

Strawman.

        Stefan