Subject: RE: bug#6935: 24.0.50; doc for `font-lock-maximum-decoration'

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 12:54:58 -0700

> > The doc for `font-lock-maximum-fontification' is not very
> > clear/complete.
>  
> FWIW, I think this customization option (and the whole notion 
> of level) should disappear,

Why?  And why just say _you think so_, with no supporting argument?  I might
think that all alligators should be painted yellow with blue polka-dots, but why
should anyone care if I give no reason?

This customization option lets users easily pick the level they want.  Just
yesterday I had a user report about this wrt Dired+ (my code had a bug that was
preventing such a choice).  Users have different needs and preferences, and they
do care about them.

Some means to control fontification level should be offered to users, and an
option is a good way to do that.  Doing away with "the whole notion of level"
would mean giving users no choice.  One size does _not_ fit all.  It's about the
users.

In any case, this bug report is about specific, doc problems wrt this feature.
Let's please address those.  The feature works, and it always has.  The doc is
not perfect; that's all.