Subject: 13.2; newcommand arguments affecting indentation

From: Paul Nelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 09:42:52 +0100

Create a tex file with the following contents:

\newcommand{\ifs}{\text{if }}
\newcommand{\foo}{\text{foo}}

M-x mark-whole-buffer, M-x indent-region yields the following:

\newcommand{\ifs}{\text{if }}
  \newcommand{\foo}{\text{foo}}

The issue is that LaTeX-indent-level-count returns 2 for the first
line, while it should return 0.  This is ultimately because
LaTeX-indent-begin-regexp-local matches the "'\ifs" newcommand
argument, which LaTeX-indent-level-count views as belonging to the
family of \if* tex commands that would normally result in an
indentation.

It seems to me that one could fix this by skipping over the first
argument of \newcommand in LaTeX-indent-level-count.  The attached
patch is my best attempt at implementing this.

There may be a more robust solution, e.g., involving more
constructions than just "\newcommand", but I haven't thought about
that.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 4, aarch64-apple-darwin23.2.0, NS
appkit-2487.30 Version 14.2.1 (Build 23C71))
 of 2024-02-06
Package: 13.2

current state:
==============
(setq
 AUCTeX-date "2023-10-10"
 window-system 'ns
 LaTeX-version "2e"
 TeX-style-path '("/usr/local/var/auctex"
                  "/Users/au710211/.emacs.d/elpaca/builds/auctex/auctex/style"
                  "/Users/au710211/.emacs.d/auctex/auto"
                  "/Users/au710211/.emacs.d/auctex/style" "auto" "style")
 TeX-auto-save t
 TeX-parse-self t
 TeX-master "~/doit/preview-master.tex"
 TeX-command-list '(("TeX"
                     "%(PDF)%(tex) %(file-line-error) %`%(extraopts)
%S%(PDFout)%(mode)%' %(output-dir) %t"
                     TeX-run-TeX nil (plain-tex-mode ams-tex-mode
texinfo-mode) :help
                     "Run plain TeX")
                    ("LaTeX" "%`%l%(mode)%' %T" TeX-run-TeX nil
(latex-mode doctex-mode)
                     :help "Run LaTeX")
                    ("Makeinfo" "makeinfo %(extraopts) %(o-dir) %t"
TeX-run-compile nil
                     (texinfo-mode) :help "Run Makeinfo with Info output")
                    ("Makeinfo HTML" "makeinfo %(extraopts) %(o-dir) --html %t"
                     TeX-run-compile nil (texinfo-mode) :help
                     "Run Makeinfo with HTML output")
                    ("AmSTeX" "amstex %(PDFout) %`%(extraopts)
%S%(mode)%' %(output-dir) %t"
                     TeX-run-TeX nil (ams-tex-mode) :help "Run AMSTeX")
                    ("ConTeXt" "%(cntxcom) --once --texutil
%(extraopts) %(execopts)%t"
                     TeX-run-TeX nil (context-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt once")
                    ("ConTeXt Full" "%(cntxcom) %(extraopts)
%(execopts)%t" TeX-run-TeX nil
                     (context-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt until completion")
                    ("BibTeX" "bibtex %(O?aux)" TeX-run-BibTeX nil
                     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode
ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode
                      context-mode)
                     :help "Run BibTeX")
                    ("Biber" "biber %(output-dir) %s" TeX-run-Biber nil
                     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode
ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode) :help
                     "Run Biber")
                    ("Texindex" "texindex %s.??" TeX-run-command nil
(texinfo-mode) :help
                     "Run Texindex")
                    ("Texi2dvi" "%(PDF)texi2dvi %t" TeX-run-command
nil (texinfo-mode) :help
                     "Run Texi2dvi or Texi2pdf")
                    ("View" "%V" TeX-run-discard-or-function t t :help
"Run Viewer")
                    ("Print" "%p" TeX-run-command t t :help "Print the file")
                    ("Queue" "%q" TeX-run-background nil t :help "View
the printer queue"
                     :visible TeX-queue-command)
                    ("File" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips t
                     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode
ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode) :help
                     "Generate PostScript file")
                    ("Dvips" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips nil
                     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode
ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode) :help
                     "Convert DVI file to PostScript")
                    ("Dvipdfmx" "dvipdfmx -o %(O?pdf) %d" TeX-run-dvipdfmx nil
                     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode
ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode) :help
                     "Convert DVI file to PDF with dvipdfmx")
                    ("Ps2pdf" "ps2pdf %f %(O?pdf)" TeX-run-ps2pdf nil
                     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode
ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode) :help
                     "Convert PostScript file to PDF")
                    ("Glossaries" "makeglossaries %(d-dir) %s"
TeX-run-command nil
                     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode
ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode) :help
                     "Run makeglossaries to create glossary file")
                    ("Index" "makeindex %(O?idx)" TeX-run-index nil
                     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode
ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode) :help
                     "Run makeindex to create index file")
                    ("upMendex" "upmendex %(O?idx)" TeX-run-index t
                     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode
ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode) :help
                     "Run upmendex to create index file")
                    ("Xindy" "texindy %s" TeX-run-command nil
                     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode
ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode) :help
                     "Run xindy to create index file")
                    ("Check" "lacheck %s" TeX-run-compile nil (latex-mode) :help
                     "Check LaTeX file for correctness")
                    ("ChkTeX" "chktex -v6 %s" TeX-run-compile nil
(latex-mode) :help
                     "Check LaTeX file for common mistakes")
                    ("Spell" "(TeX-ispell-document \"\")"
TeX-run-function nil t :help
                     "Spell-check the document")
                    ("Clean" "TeX-clean" TeX-run-function nil t :help
                     "Delete generated intermediate files")
                    ("Clean All" "(TeX-clean t)" TeX-run-function nil t :help
                     "Delete generated intermediate and output files")
                    ("Other" "" TeX-run-command t t :help "Run an
arbitrary command"))
 )