Subject: bug#69342: query-replace: ignore events not binded in query-replace-map

From: Gabriele Nicolardi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 23:16:15 +0100

Hi,

I have this function:

|(defun my-replacements () (interactive) (query-replace "foo" "bar" nil 
(point-min) (point-max)) (query-replace "baz" "quz" nil (point-min) 
(point-max)) (query-replace "fred" "thud" nil (point-min) (point-max))) |

If I run it and accidentally type, for example, ‘k’ during one of the 
replacements, the function is interrupted, skipping all the remaining 
replacements.

I know that |query-replace| (and |query-replace-regexp|) accepts only 
events binded in the |query-replace-map| and from the manual I know that:

    Aside from this, any other character exits the query-replace, and is
    then reread as part of a key sequence. Thus, if you type C-k, it exits
    the query-replace and then kills to end of line. In particular, C-g
    simply exits the query-replace.

I would like to circumvent this behavior by ensuring that events not 
defined in the |query-replace-map| are simply ignored. Is there a way to 
achieve this?

I thought it could be done with a macro, e.g.:

|(with-ignore-qr-unbinded-events MY CODE HERE) |

but I have no idea how to do it.

As a feature request (this would be my first choice), I would like to 
add an optional argument to the function(s) so that I can have control 
over this behavior. Does it make sense to you?

Best regards,

Gabriele Nicolardi

​