Subject: bug#69317: 30.0.50; RFE: not waiting for a permission to kill a dead process

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 21:18:59 -0500

When I hit g (recompile) in a *Compilation* buffer while the previous
compilation is not done yet, I am asked whether I want compilation
killed. If I wait for it to finish, I get the echo area look like this: 

A compilation process is running; kill it? (y or n) [Compilation finished]

It would be nice if as soon as the compilation finished, the question
automatically disappeared and the compilation restarted.

I looked at the source code, but I see not simple way to make it happen.

NB1. Of course, this requested change should also affect
`process-kill-buffer-query-function`...

NB2. compilation-always-kill is not what I want: it kills the
compilation right away. I want Emacs not to wait for my permission to
kill an already dead process.

See also https://emacs.stackexchange.com/q/80383/795

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2024-02-11 built on pop-os
Repository revision: 9a1522197fb16986c2f641f777d6bef41c348567
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --with-mailutils --with-native-compilation
 --with-imagemagick --with-native-image-api'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ IMAGEMAGICK
JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

-- 
Sam Steingold (https://aphar.dreamwidth.org/) on Pop 22.04 (jammy) X 11.0.12101004
https://lastingimpactpsychology.com https://steingoldpsychology.com
https://honestreporting.com https://ij.org/ https://www.memritv.org
If you're constantly being mistreated, you're cooperating with the treatment.