Subject: [bug#69313] [PATCH v2 0/2] gnu: tlpui: Fix location for "defaults.conf".

From: Juliana Sims <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 12:10:47 -0500

> I'm dubious about the "code modernization" part. ... IIUC, the
> `file-append' way makes it more difficult to use package
> transformations, since you basically bind the executables to a fixed
> package.

I used the phrase "modernization" just because `file-append` is a 
g-expression-related procedure, and my understanding is that gexprs are 
the new way to do things. I hadn't considered the 
fixing-to-specific-packages aspect. In theory one could bind a 
replacement package to the same name in the scope of g-expression 
expansion (package parameterization, for example, will enable this more 
simply if and when it's done), but that's kind of hacky atm and 
shouldn't be a burden on anyone inheriting from this package. I now 
understand why one might prefer `search-input-file` and, furthermore, 
think it should be preserved.

If no one else has input on this in the next couple days, I'll try to 
remember to close this issue soon :)

Thanks for helping me think about something in a new way!

-Juli