Subject: bug#6931: 24.0.50; fringe-mode

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 00:48:27 +0200

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Command `fringe-mode' is not normal.  It does not act as a normal mode
> command.  And its variable, `fringe-mode', does not act as a normal mode
> variable.  This is not good for users or for Lisp coders.  If you are
> going to keep this behavior, then do not use "-mode" in the name at all
> - call it `fringe-mess' or something instead.
>
> Code that tests a mode variable should be able to treat a value of nil
> as meaning that the mode is turned off.  In this case, that would mean
> there is no fringe.  Not so, however.
>
> If you want the value of variable `fringe-mode' to provide the fringe
> width also, then 0 and nil should give the same info: fringe is not
> shown.  If you want a special value that means "the default width", then
> use the symbol `default' or something - do not use nil to mean a default
> width of 8.
>
> This command and its variable are a mess.

Yes, it's pretty confusing.  Perhaps the `fringe-mode' command should be
renamed to `choose-fringe-state' or something?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no