Subject: bug#69305: outline-minor-mode for tabulated-list-mode

From: Adam Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 01:45:52 -0600

Hi,

On 2/24/24 12:49, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
>> Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 18:36:23 +0000
>>
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>>> I am wondering if flexible grouping system from Adam's org-super-agenda
>>>> package may provide some inspiration.
>>>> Check out
>>>> https://github.com/alphapapa/org-super-agenda/?tab=readme-ov-file#usage
>>>
>>> What I had in mind was much simpler to use.  But I guess I'm the only
>>> one who wants to let users set up grouping in some easy way, because
>>> I'm being shown more and more complicated customizations, claiming
>>> they are suitable.
>>
>> Don't be deceived by the length of org-super-agenda readme.
>> Most of the keywords listed there are an equivalent to column names in
>> tabulated-list-mode.
> 
> Did you read what I suggested as the preferred way of specifying the
> grouping?  It's way simpler than what org-super-agenda expects.

I appreciate Ihor's mentioning my org-super-agenda library.  But while 
it is indeed a useful tool, please note that since I wrote it, I learned 
a lot about the topic, and I wrote a new library purposefully designed 
to facilitate grouping arbitrary data in arbitrary ways with a simple 
API: taxy.el, which is on GNU ELPA.  It supports both statically defined 
grouping, as well as user-customizeable grouping using a concise DSL 
defined with top-level forms.

So if you were to use one of these as inspiration (or as a library 
directly), I'd strongly recommend using `taxy', as that's what it's 
designed for.

The documentation is fairly thorough; please see the installed Info 
manual, or the readme at:

https://github.com/alphapapa/taxy.el#usage

Let me know if I can help facilitate a solution using it, or help anyone 
work with the API.

Thanks,
Adam