Subject: bug#69302: closed (Re: [bug#69302] [PATCH v2 1/2] doc: Add“Getting Started with the System”section.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2024 16:29:02 +0000

Your bug report

#69302: [PATCH 0/2] New "Getting Started" section for Guix System

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
69302: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=69302
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [bug#69302] [PATCH v2 1/2] doc: Add “Getting Started with the System” section.
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Oleg Pykhalov <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2024 17:28:14 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

"pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>> In this case, I think it’s enough to call it “Getting Started” because
>> it’s in the “System” chapter, but we need to disambiguate the node name.
>
> With your patch, we’d have URLs:
>
> https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Getting-Started.html
>
> https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Getting-Started-with-the-System.html
>
> Even though the titles are “4 Getting Started” vs. a smaller “11.1
> Getting Started”.
>
> There is no confusion.  Yes, LGTM.

I fixed the typo you pointed out and pushed as
edde7ee1bcb098663038014190e79578ed0d99db.

Thanks!

Ludo’.

Subject: [PATCH 0/2] New "Getting Started" section for Guix System
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 15:58:34 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello Guix!

It was recently brought to my attention (by an unsatisfied family
member, so I couldn’t ignore it) that the documentation didn’t
really tell you how to get started with Guix System: the main
entry point was the “Using the Configuration System” section,
which dives straight into the details of what to put in the config
file, with page-long examples.  Only at the bottom did it finally
mention ‘guix system reconfigure’.

These patches aim to improve on that: the new “Getting Started”
section tries to give an overview of what it’s like to manage a
Guix System machine.  The goal is the same as for the other
“Getting Started” section: to have something relatively short,
with command blocks and links to the relevant sections to learn
more.

The second patch adds a subsection showing three ways to inspect
a system configuration.

Feedback welcome!

Ludo’.

Ludovic Courtès (2):
  doc: Add “Getting Started with the System” section.
  doc: Add “Inspecting Services” section.

 doc/guix.texi | 365 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----------
 1 file changed, 289 insertions(+), 76 deletions(-)

base-commit: ffcce77ec488e3c89401ad77fafa65fcd9e9f5be
-- 
2.41.0