Subject: Re: [bug#69302] [PATCH 1/2] doc: Add “GettingStarted with the System” section.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 12:26:27 +0100

Hi Oleg,

Oleg Pykhalov <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> +@example
>> +/gnu/store/@dots{}-run-vm.sh
>> +@end example
>> +
>> +@noindent
>> +In this VM, you can log in as @code{root} with no password.  That's a
>> +good way to check that your configuration file is correct and that it
>> +gives the expected result, without touching your system.  @xref{Invoking
>> +guix system}, for more information.
>
> What are your thoughts on the description of the 'file-systems' and
> 'bootloader' fields? Should users not rely on them during this test?

These fields have no effect when using ‘guix system vm’.  Did you mean
that this should be clarified?

> Additionally, static networking configuration will not function
> correctly in the generated '/gnu/store/...-run-vm.sh' script unless
> specific flags are provided.

Good point.  I see several ways out of it: (1) change
‘virtualized-operating-system’ to replace
‘static-networking-service-type’ with ‘dhcp-client-service-type’, or (2)
mention it in the doc, or (3) do nothing, assuming that people using
static networking are already advanced users and not really the target
audience of this section.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.