Subject: bug#6930: closed (Re: bug#6930: 24.0.50; (elisp) Layout Parameters: What is ""the standard fringe width"?)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 08:15:03 +0000

Your bug report

#6930: 24.0.50; (elisp) Layout Parameters: What is ""the standard fringe width"?

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
6930: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=6930
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#6930: 24.0.50; (elisp) Layout Parameters: What is ""the standard fringe width"?
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 11:18:14 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 15:22:49 -0700
> Cc: 
> 
> The text says this:
>  
>      The default width of the left and right fringes of windows in this
>      frame (*note Fringes::).  If either of these is zero, that
>      effectively removes the corresponding fringe.  A value of `nil'
>      stands for the standard fringe width, which is the width needed to
>      display the fringe bitmaps.
>  
> If Lisp code wants to know how wide the left fringe is for a certain
> frame, it can look at the value of parameter `left-fringe' (and at
> variable `fringe-mode').  But if parameter `left-fringe' is nil, then
> the fringe width is what?

This works for me:

   (frame-parameter FRAME 'left-fringe) => 8

FRAME can be nil, meaning the currently selected frame.

Calling frame-parameter is the standard way of accessing values of
frame parameters.

So I'm closing this bug.

Subject: 24.0.50; (elisp) Layout Parameters: What is ""the standard fringe width"?
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 15:22:49 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The text says this:
 
     The default width of the left and right fringes of windows in this
     frame (*note Fringes::).  If either of these is zero, that
     effectively removes the corresponding fringe.  A value of `nil'
     stands for the standard fringe width, which is the width needed to
     display the fringe bitmaps.
 
If Lisp code wants to know how wide the left fringe is for a certain
frame, it can look at the value of parameter `left-fringe' (and at
variable `fringe-mode').  But if parameter `left-fringe' is nil, then
the fringe width is what?  It says the width is "the standard fringe
width".
 
Well, what's that?  "The width needed to display the fringe bitmaps."
Huh?  And how does it find out how wide that is for the target frame?
 
In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2010-08-16 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/imagesupport/include'