Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] guix: Remove rakudo-build-system.

From: Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 16:50:00 +0200

On Sat, Feb 24, 2024 at 02:27:45AM +0100, Liliana Marie Prikler wrote:
> Am Dienstag, dem 20.02.2024 um 09:03 +0200 schrieb Efraim Flashner:
> > * guix/build/rakudo-build-system.scm: Remove file.
> > * guix/build-system/rakudo.scm: Remove file.
> > * doc/guix.texi (Build Systems): Remove section for rakudo-build-
> > system.
> > * etc/snippets/yas/scheme-mode/guix-package: Remove rakudo-build-
> > system.
> > * Makefile.am (MODULES): Remove rakudo-build-system files.
> > 
> > Change-Id: Ida6ec6c9be075f10be540c82cee5207176f1cfe2
> > ---
> Given that we will keep raku, but not "perl6", what is the impact on
> packaging raku packages after this removal?  Will we have to reinvent
> rakudo-build-system?

That's a good question.

With the work that was done with the other patchset to adjust some of
the perl6 packages to become raku packages I don't believe any changes
were needed to the rakudo-build-system other than adjusting the check
phase.  I'm glad that there weren't any problems with it, but I haven't
looked at either the language or the build system in more than 4 years.
I'd rather yank it out than dive in and make sure it works correctly, so
we're not leaving broken bits around if someone later wanted to use it,
but I don't know if they'd prefer a build system that probably mostly
works or to know that rakudo is packaged and they're on their own for
actual packages.

-- 
Efraim Flashner   <[email-masked]>   רנשלפ םירפא
GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted