Subject: bug#6928: 24.0.50; docview; Not a PNG file: `/var/folders/.../docview501/File.ps-b4cd9ad434063d4d803055fb67b74f81/page-1.png'

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 21:58:46 +0200

Hello!

Docview seems to fail with PS and PDF files here (Mac OS X 10.5.8,  
Tiger, PPC hardware), as mentioned in the subject. It displays an  
rectangle of, say 20x30 pixels or four chars times 2.5 lines in xft:- 
unknown-Monospace-normal-normal-normal-*-13-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1. In  
*Messages' buffer I can see:

	Type C-c C-c to toggle between editing or viewing the document.
	View mode: type C-h for help, h for commands, q to quit.
	Type C-c C-c to toggle between editing or viewing the document.
	Not a PNG file: `/var/folders/.../docview501/File.ps- 
b4cd9ad434063d4d803055fb67b74f81/page-1.png'
	PNG error: Read error [13 times]
	(Shell command succeeded with no output)

The file command, invoked in *shell* buffer, tells:

	/var/folders/.../docview501/File.ps-b4cd9ad434063d4d803055fb67b74f81/ 
page-1.png: PNG image data, 826 x 1169, 8-bit/color RGB, non-interlaced

In GNU Emacs' process environment and in *shell* the same gs  
interpreter is used: gs 8.71.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin9.8.0, X toolkit, Xaw3d  
scroll bars)
  of 2010-08-27 on Latsche.local
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version  
11.0.10900000
configured using `configure  '--without-sound' '--without-dbus' '-- 
without-pop' '--without-gconf' '--with-x-toolkit=athena' '--x- 
libraries=/usr/X11/lib' '--x-includes=/usr/X11/include' '--enable- 
locallisppath=/Library/Application Support/Emacs/calendar24:/Library/ 
Application Support/Emacs' 'CFLAGS=-g -H -pipe -fPIC -fno-common - 
mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -faltivec -fast' 'CPPFLAGS=' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,- 
dead_strip_dylibs' 'CC=gcc-4.2' 'CPP=cpp-4.2' 'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/lib/ 
pango-ft219/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/xft2/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/ 
fontconfig2/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/freetype219/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/sw/share/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/usr/X11/share/pkgconfig''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Who the fsck is "General Failure," and why is he reading my disk?