Subject: bug#69254: 14.0.2; outline-hide-body doesn't work when called in LaTeX-mode-hook

From: Richard Stanton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 11:50:39 -0800

Using Emacs 29.2 under MacOS 12.7.3, I want LaTeX files to open with
section bodies hidden, and just headers showing. I can get this to work
manually when I'm editing the file by running the command
"outline-hide-body". But when I run the same command as part of
LaTeX-mode-hook, the file opens with nothing hidden.

Here's the relevant portion of my init.el file. The rest of it just
deals with setting up straight.el:

(use-package tex :straight auctex)

(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook (lambda()
                             (outline-minor-mode 1)
                             (outline-hide-body)
                             ))

Note that:

1) If I add other commands to this LaTeX-mode-hook, they get executed just
fine. it seems to be only the outline-hide-body command that isn't doing
what I expect.

2) Everything works as I hope if I don't load AUCTeX but use the
built-in LaTeX mode instead (with the appropriately renamed hook).

Is this a bug, or am i missing something?

Thanks for any help

Richard Stanton

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 29.2 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin21.6.0, NS appkit-2113.60 Version 12.7.3 (Build 21H1015))
 of 2024-02-09
Package: 14.0.2

current state:
==============
(setq
 AUCTeX-date "2024-02-09"
 window-system 'ns
 LaTeX-version "2e"
 TeX-style-path '("/usr/local/var/auctex"
		  "/Users/stanton/.emacs.d/straight/build/auctex/style"
		  "/Users/stanton/.emacs.d/auctex/auto"
		  "/Users/stanton/.emacs.d/auctex/style" "auto" "style")
 TeX-auto-save nil
 TeX-parse-self nil
 TeX-master t
 TeX-command-list '(("TeX"
		     "%(PDF)%(tex) %(file-line-error) %`%(extraopts) %S%(PDFout)%(mode)%' %(output-dir) %t"
		     TeX-run-TeX nil (plain-TeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Run plain TeX")
		    ("LaTeX" "%`%l%(mode)%' %T" TeX-run-TeX nil
		     (LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode) :help "Run LaTeX")
		    ("Makeinfo" "makeinfo %(extraopts) %(o-dir) %t"
		     TeX-run-compile nil (Texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Run Makeinfo with Info output")
		    ("Makeinfo HTML"
		     "makeinfo %(extraopts) %(o-dir) --html %t"
		     TeX-run-compile nil (Texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Run Makeinfo with HTML output")
		    ("AmSTeX"
		     "amstex %(PDFout) %`%(extraopts) %S%(mode)%' %(output-dir) %t"
		     TeX-run-TeX nil (AmSTeX-mode) :help "Run AMSTeX")
		    ("ConTeXt"
		     "%(cntxcom) --once --texutil %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t"
		     TeX-run-TeX nil (ConTeXt-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt once")
		    ("ConTeXt Full" "%(cntxcom) %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t"
		     TeX-run-TeX nil (ConTeXt-mode) :help
		     "Run ConTeXt until completion")
		    ("BibTeX" "bibtex %(O?aux)" TeX-run-BibTeX nil
		     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode
		      Texinfo-mode ConTeXt-mode)
		     :help "Run BibTeX")
		    ("Biber" "biber %(output-dir) %s" TeX-run-Biber nil
		     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode
		      Texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Run Biber")
		    ("Texindex" "texindex %s.??" TeX-run-command nil
		     (Texinfo-mode) :help "Run Texindex")
		    ("Texi2dvi" "%(PDF)texi2dvi %t" TeX-run-command nil
		     (Texinfo-mode) :help "Run Texi2dvi or Texi2pdf")
		    ("View" "%V" TeX-run-discard-or-function t t :help
		     "Run Viewer")
		    ("Print" "%p" TeX-run-command t t :help "Print the file")
		    ("Queue" "%q" TeX-run-background nil t :help
		     "View the printer queue" :visible TeX-queue-command)
		    ("File" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips t
		     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode
		      Texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Generate PostScript file")
		    ("Dvips" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips nil
		     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode
		      Texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Convert DVI file to PostScript")
		    ("Dvipdfmx" "dvipdfmx -o %(O?pdf) %d" TeX-run-dvipdfmx nil
		     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode
		      Texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Convert DVI file to PDF with dvipdfmx")
		    ("Ps2pdf" "ps2pdf %f %(O?pdf)" TeX-run-ps2pdf nil
		     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode
		      Texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Convert PostScript file to PDF")
		    ("Glossaries" "makeglossaries %(d-dir) %s" TeX-run-command
		     nil
		     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode
		      Texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Run makeglossaries to create glossary file")
		    ("Index" "makeindex %(O?idx)" TeX-run-index nil
		     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode
		      Texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Run makeindex to create index file")
		    ("upMendex" "upmendex %(O?idx)" TeX-run-index t
		     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode
		      Texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Run upmendex to create index file")
		    ("Xindy" "texindy %s" TeX-run-command nil
		     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode
		      Texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Run xindy to create index file")
		    ("Check" "lacheck %s" TeX-run-compile nil (LaTeX-mode)
		     :help "Check LaTeX file for correctness")
		    ("ChkTeX" "chktex -v6 %s" TeX-run-compile nil (LaTeX-mode)
		     :help "Check LaTeX file for common mistakes")
		    ("Spell" "(TeX-ispell-document \"\")" TeX-run-function nil
		     t :help "Spell-check the document")
		    ("Clean" "TeX-clean" TeX-run-function nil t :help
		     "Delete generated intermediate files")
		    ("Clean All" "(TeX-clean t)" TeX-run-function nil t :help
		     "Delete generated intermediate and output files")
		    ("Other" "" TeX-run-command t t :help
		     "Run an arbitrary command")
		    )
 )