Subject: Re: bug#69246: 30.0.50; persistent key input delay after using vc commands in pgtk

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 10:23:43 +0200

> From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 16:02:20 +0800
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > What is the "unconventional manner" in which GTK Emacs responds to
> > keyboard input?  And why do we do that?
> 
> Emacs doesn't receive ASCII keyboard input as strings delivered by the
> input method, but as unprocessed key events with metadata such as active
> modifier masks, timestamps and keycodes, which is self-explanatory.

Thanks, but it seems like something was left out of this description:
you started by saying that Emacs _responds_ to keyboard input in some
unexpected way, but here you are talking about how Emacs _receives_
keyboard input, and say nothing about how we _respond_ to it.  Why
would GTK care how Emacs _receives_ input if we don't tell it back
something about that input?