Subject: bug#69245: closed (Re: bug#69245: 29.1.90; Segfault on startup)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 20 May 2024 20:39:02 +0000

Your bug report

#69245: 29.1.90; Segfault on startup

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
69245: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=69245
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#69245: 29.1.90; Segfault on startup
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, Arteen Abrishami <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 May 2024 20:37:37 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 20:10:03 -0800
>> From:  Arteen Abrishami via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
>>
>> This occasionally happens when I start up.
>>
>> % emacs test.pl
>> Fatal error 11: Segmentation fault
>> zsh: abort      /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs test.pl
>>
>> It also happened yesterday when I tried a similar command.
>>
>> Usually, emacs takes a long time to load (it is usually after I have not
>> used it, or it's my first time using it that day or in a couple days)
>> and then I get this error.
>>
>> The next time it opens up fine.
>>
>> Let me know if I can do anything to help trace the issue.
>
> Please show the backtrace from the segfault or some other information
> about the crash.  It is almost impossible to do anything with this
> report without more info.
>
> Also, I see that you are using a development version of Emacs.  Can
> you try the release version 29.2 instead?
>
> Thanks.

More information was requested, but none was given within 3 months, so
I'm closing this bug.  If this is still an issue, please reply to this
email (use "Reply to all" in your email client) and we can reopen the
bug report.

Subject: 29.1.90; Segfault on startup
From: Arteen Abrishami <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 20:10:03 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This occasionally happens when I start up.

% emacs test.pl
Fatal error 11: Segmentation fault
zsh: abort      /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs test.pl

It also happened yesterday when I tried a similar command.

Usually, emacs takes a long time to load (it is usually after I have not
used it, or it's my first time using it that day or in a couple days)
and then I get this error.

The next time it opens up fine.

Let me know if I can do anything to help trace the issue.

In GNU Emacs 29.1.90 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin23.2.0, NS
appkit-2487.30 Version 14.2.1 (Build 23C71)) of 2023-12-23 built on
Arteens-MBP.san.rr.com
Repository revision: 2701da0eee54d85f79104c7a91610bf591159a51
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2487
System Description:  macOS 14.2.1

Configured using:
'configure --with-native-compilation=aot --without-pop --with-ns
--with-tree-sitter --with-json
CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/opt/openjdk/bin:/usr/local/opt/openjdk/bin:/usr/local/opt/make/libexec/gnubin:/usr/local/opt/[email-masked]/libexec/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.11/bin:/usr/local/bin:/System/Cryptexes/App/usr/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/var/run/com.apple.security.cryptexd/codex.system/bootstrap/usr/local/bin:/var/run/com.apple.security.cryptexd/codex.system/bootstrap/usr/bin:/var/run/com.apple.security.cryptexd/codex.system/bootstrap/usr/appleinternal/bin:/Library/Apple/usr/bin:/Library/TeX/texbin'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  hs-minor-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media puny rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util time-date mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils comp
comp-cstr hideshow pdf-loader pdf-occur ibuf-ext ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs tablist advice tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp
semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util
semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local find-func
cedet pdf-isearch let-alist pdf-misc imenu pdf-tools cus-edit cus-load
wid-edit pdf-view bookmark pp pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util format-spec
pdf-macs latex-preview-pane doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif utop
utop-minor-mode tuareg tuareg-compat tuareg-opam flymake-proc flymake
project compile text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color warnings
icons thingatpt smie caml-types caml-help view find-file pcase
dired-subtree dired-hacks-utils dired dired-loaddefs dash edmacro kmacro
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode doom-themes-ext-org
doom-themes-ext-visual-bell face-remap doom-vibrant-theme doom-themes
doom-themes-base exec-path-from-shell cl-extra help-mode
use-package-ensure use-package-core windmove winner ring delsel
autorevert filenotify dired-sidebar-autoloads dired-subtree-autoloads
dired-hacks-utils-autoloads info dash-autoloads doom-themes-autoloads
exec-path-from-shell-autoloads expand-region-autoloads
latex-preview-pane-autoloads pdf-tools-autoloads tablist-autoloads
utop-autoloads tuareg-autoloads rx caml-autoloads package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2
multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 260405 12135)
(symbols 48 18098 0)
(strings 32 52781 3205)
(string-bytes 1 1683773)
(vectors 16 32968)
(vector-slots 8 620581 15564)
(floats 8 314 202)
(intervals 56 312 0)
(buffers 984 12))