Subject: bug#69232: 30.0.50; [PATCH] EWW history navigation gets caught in a loop

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2024 09:38:03 +0200

> Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 12:13:08 -0800
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
> 
> > Therefore, I suggest a history-specific defcustom, whose possible
> > values could be 'clear', 'clone', and 'add', and whose effect will be
> > to call the corresponding function via eww-before-browse-function.
> > The defcustom could also have a user-defined function value to allow
> > additional functions, of course.
> 
> I've done something close to this, though I retained the previous form 
> where the possible values are things like 'eww-delete-future-history'. 
> That keeps the code to *use* this option simpler (no special-case symbol 
> names), and the only difference with your suggestion is that users who 
> manually edit their init.el will have a longer symbol name to type.
> 
> For Customize users, I added 'function-item' choices so they should just 
> be able to click on the option they want without having to worry about 
> the exact symbol name.
> 
> If you strongly prefer to have this accept non-function symbol names 
> like 'clear', let me know and I can change it. I don't care too much, 
> but this way seemed simpler and easier to maintain.

I think what you did is functionally equivalent, and not harder to use
in practice.  So I'm okay with this version of the patch.  Thanks.