Subject: bug#69232: 30.0.50; [PATCH] EWW history navigation gets caught in a loop

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 09:32:09 -0800

On 2/28/2024 11:03 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Thanks, but I thought we were talking about some user option, since at
> least some people said they don't like what other browsers do?

I'll wait to see if James has anything to say about this patch, but my 
understanding was that his problem was that the first version of my 
patch *didn't* work like other browsers, and he wanted something closer 
to that.

I don't mind adding an option though, once we have an idea of what 
options we'd want to support. One simple way might be to add some option 
like 'eww-history-replacement-function' (name suggestions welcome), 
which runs any time the user is at a historical page and navigates to a 
new one. This would default to the hypothetical function 
'eww-history-delete-future' and do what my latest patch does. Then users 
can write their own functions to modify the behavior.

It would also be nice to have an option like the Emacs 29 behavior, but 
with the bug in my original report still fixed. I'm not sure exactly the 
best implementation for this yet though...