Subject: Re: bug#69232: 30.0.50; [PATCH] EWW history navigation gets caught in a loop

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 14:41:26 -0800

On 2/25/2024 11:49 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> If anything, I think this should be the default, with some other options
>> provided for people who don't want to lose any history. That way the
>> default behavior is what people know.
> 
> I don't think I mind.

Thanks. Even if there were multiple options, this is probably what I'd 
choose, if only out of habit.

>> How about this as an option for preserving history though: if you're at
>> a historical page and you navigate to a link, open that link in a *new*
>> buffer, copying over the history leading up to that link. That way, you
>> have two separate history timelines and nothing ever gets lost or munged.
> 
> Sounds too complicated, and two backward-incompatible changes instead
> of just one.  My recommendation is not to over-engineer this.

I'm ok with implementing any combination of options here to make people 
happy (within reason; let's keep the number of possibilities to a few). 
If that means just making EWW work like other browsers, for better or 
worse, that's ok too. We can always revisit the decision to add more 
options later.

In any case, I'm going to look into writing some regression tests for 
this code so that we can be sure it works correctly.