Subject: Re: bug#6923: 24.0.50; Can't load remote elc.gz file using tramp-ftp

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 12:37:25 +0200

Katsumi Yamaoka <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,

Hi,

> This might not be a bug and there might not be a demand either,
> but loading elc.gz file using tramp-ssh succeeds (you don't have
> access to this, sorry):
>
> (let ((load-path (cons "/ssh:jpl.org:~/ftp/pub/tmp/lisp" load-path)))
>   (load "gnus"))
>
> It seems easy to solve.  How about the attached patch?

Your patch looks OK to me. Loading gnus.el.gz via ssh works, because
tramp-ssh preserves the suffix when applying `file-local-copy'. You get
the same result for `ange-ftp-file-local-copy' with your patch.

Maybe we shall extend the docstring of `file-local-copy', saying that
suffixes must be preserved.

> BTW, after starting Emacs, I needed to do tramp-ftp (e.g. dired)
> to the remote site before testing the above two items.  If not,
> I got the error `Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size'
> for unknown reason.

This is related to Bug#1529 and Bug#5705. Now, after Tramp 2.1.19 has
been released, I plan to reorganize Tramp's packages and their load
dependencies. Shall be fixed then.

> Regards,

Best regards, Michael.