Subject: Re: bug#69220: [PATCH] smerge-mode: add a function to resolve all conflicts in a file

From: Konstantin Kharlamov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 06:24:10 +0300

On Mon, 2024-02-19 at 22:15 -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > > No: `smerge-apply-all-conflicts` would *be* the prefix command.
> > > Instead of a prefix `C-u 8` which causes the next command to be
> > > executed 8 times, your use `M-x smerge-apply-all-conflicts` to
> > > cause
> > > the next command to be applied to every conflict in the buffer.
> [...]
> > I think I see, so you suggest a function that would apply
> > resolution to
> > the next N conflicts.
> 
> No, that's not what I'm suggesting.  If you re-read the above I say
> "applied to every conflict in the buffer" (rather than some specific
> N),
> and I don't say "resolve" or anything like "resolution".
> 
> It's really doing the same as your patch, except that the command to
> apply at each iteration is not limited to one of
> `smerge-keep-(upper/base/lower)` (and that it's specified by hitting
> the
> command's key binding rather than by choosing a string in the
> minibuffer).

Sorry, I'm not following 😅 The closest thing I see is you want a
prefix to each of smerge-keep-(upper/base/lower) commands to be added,
so that pressing a `C-u 0 smerge-keep-upper` would call the command for
each conflict in the buffer. But that seems both less discoverable and
more code to implement. But maybe I understood you wrong.

> BTW, your use of [upper base lower] as a completion table is both
> cute
> and horrible at the same time :-)

Hahah, why? 😅