Subject: bug#69171: Moving packages out of core to ELPA

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 21:15:56 +0000

JD Smith <[email-masked]> writes:

>> On Apr 11, 2024, at 2:44 PM, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> 
>>> Believe it or not I am *still* waiting on our license server upgrade to be
>>> finalized (a particular joy of network license software is when they change
>>> vendors and your IT people have to open new ports).
>> 
>> Ah!  The perks of proprietary software!
>> No hurry on my end,
>
> Our license issues have been sorted out and I've been able to test the
> idlw-shell capabilities of the emacs-upstream-merge branch.  I had to
> make a few small tweaks to the help system, as often happens with new
> IDL releases, but the (funky old) completion and other features
> continue to work pretty well.  I merged the branch to master and
> mentioned ELPA in the README.
>
> One question I had is what happens to the texinfo manual for ELPA
> packages, and if they need any special treatment to get installed.  

Usually they just have to be listed in the package specification.

>                                                                     I
> am also not 100% sure this will load correctly as a package given the
> file re-org I did some time back; I've been testing it using a
> use-package :load-path and that works, but nothing like a real test of
> the live package.  Can always give it a try after it lands on ELPA and
> make any changes needed.

We can build a package tarball locally and send it to you to try it out
(the procedure isn't complicated, you can also do it yourself if you
prefer).

> Other than that, and any pending suggestions or concerns you had, I think I'm ready to flip the ELPA switch.
>
> Thanks for your work on this.
>

-- 
	Philip Kaludercic on icterid