Subject: Re: bug#69171: Moving packages out of core to ELPA

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 16:39:20 -0500

> Just a brief update.  I updated the version to 6.5.0 across the board, and
> squashed a few compiler complaints.  In some simple testing of idlwave-mode
> (only in the buffer for .pro files) everything seems to be working well.

Good, thanks.

> I am fairly critical of my old idea to refactor everything, but that's
> where we are.  It's a bear to compile everything without putting it on
> the load-path (I'm curious if you just append to the load-path when
> dealing with this kind of thing).

I compile using the method used in `elpa-admin`, which comes down to:

    .PRECIOUS: packages/%.elc
    packages/%.elc: packages/%.el
            @echo 'Byte compiling $<'
            @$(EMACS)                                                    \
                --eval "(setq package-directory-list                     \
                              (list \"$(abspath other-packages)\")       \
                              load-prefer-newer t                        \
                              byte-compile-debug t                       \
                              debug-on-error t                           \
                              package-user-dir \"$(abspath packages)\")" \
                -f package-initialize                                    \
                -L $(dir $@) -f batch-byte-compile $<

So, yes, of course, `-L $(dir $@)` adds the directory to the
`load-path`, but "prepend" rather than "append" (otherwise you'll end
up loading the old version built into Emacs).
I don't consider that to be a problem.

        Stefan