Subject: Re: bug#69141: [PATCH] Allow attaching files at point using 'gnus-dired-attach'

From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 07:52:50 +0530

[திங்கள் பிப்ரவரி 19, 2024] Stefan Kangas wrote:

> Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Do you think it would be OK to modify the default behaviour?  If so, I
>> guess we should mention it in NEWS and point out how to restore the old
>> behaviour, for anyone would really needs it.
>
> I'm not sure it's worth changing it, because other attach commands in
> message-mode adds attachments in place, which kind of makes sense if you
> are dealing with in-line images.  So I can realistically see users
> wanting either behaviour, and providing an option does that.
>
> WDYT?

Although as Eli pointed, the place where the attachment shows up is
completely up to the MUA, I always found it annoying that the dired
command attaches it at the end since it made it (1) hard for me to know
whether I attached the file, and (2) hard to present the attachment in a
relevant place to other Gnus others.  So I ended up resorting to
drag-n-drop from dired (now I use yank-media to attach copied files in
clipboard).  I wouldn't mind having this new defcustom default to nil.