Subject: Re: bug#69140: 30.0.50; [elpa/vertico] Emacs with vertico-mode freezes if font is too big

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 15:46:40 +0200

> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 14:23:28 +0300
> From:  Aleksandr Vityazev via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> Vertico version 1.7, version 1.3 has also been tested, is incompatible
> with the changes made by the commit -
> caea0c1649d1df96b811c1388fde396e66bc356b. This commit was found via
> git bisect.
> 
> To reproduce:
> 1. Run emacs -Q
> 2. M-x load-library vertico RET
> 3. M-x vertico-mode RET
> 4. Set a large font, the following is suitable for my 13 inch monitor:
> (set-face-attribute 'default nil :family "monospace" :height 440)
> 5. Call M-x
> Emacs should freeze, sometimes you can unfreeze it with a few presses
> of C-g

Thanks, but why do you think the bug is in Emacs and not in vertico?
The fact that you can unfreeze Emacs with C-g indicates that some Lisp
is involved in what probably is an infloop.  At the very least, could
you please catch a Lisp backtrace when you type C-g, so that we could
see what Lisp is involved?  Also, what exactly does vertico do with
resizing the mini-window, and what should be the value of
resize-mini-windows for reproducing this issue.