Subject: Re: bug#69132: [ELPA] Remove jQuery from elpa.gnu.org

From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 11:06:19 +0100

Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]> writes:

Hello Philip!

>> I was recently surprised to see that elpa.gnu.org uses a jQuery library,
>> where it really isn't necessary.  Re-implementing the same functionality
>> can be done in a few more lines of plain Javascript, without the need
>> for any minified code.  Tested with relatively recent versions of
>> Firefox and Chromium, so perhaps it would be nice if someone with an
>> older browser could check if I didn't make any bold assumptions. 
>
> I have pushed updated versions of these patches to elpa.git, does the
> same have to be done for nongnu.git?

I just tried the updated website on elpa.gnu.org and I observed the
following issues:

- The filtering feels less responsive. I don't know where the problem
  lies, maybe Jquery uses some kind of debouncing, a more efficient
  matching or a more efficient way to manipulate the DOM?

- When deleting the input string after filtering, such that the input
  field becomes empty again, all packages are highlighted.

- The jslicense.html website has not been updated yet. Maybe this
  website is also not necessary given that no third-party packages are
  used?

Daniel