Subject: bug#69132: [ELPA] Remove jQuery from elpa.gnu.org

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 15:07:54 +0000

Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> writes:

> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]
>
> There is no special harm in using jquery.  

What I didn't like about it is that it is two large, "minified"
(i.e. obfuscated) files that provide much more than is necessary for
this simple feature:

  https://elpa.gnu.org/javascript/jquery.min.js
  https://elpa.gnu.org/javascript/jquery.filtertable.min.js

>                                            It is free software,
> However, can we make elpa.gnu.org use NO Javascript?
> That would be better.

As the entire functionality it provides is just an optional, superficial
enchantment (one that I almost never use), I don't think this is worth
pursuing.  All the ways I can imagine to achieve this would be less
convenient hacks.

Corwin Brust <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> So, I think the status quo is fine, notwithstanding removing jquery.
> In that regard, I think the argument was we don't use it enough
> considering it's a fairly big javascript library to send to every user
> that loads the page; given I've understood properly, I do agree.

So to be clear, you don't object to my jQuery replacement?

-- 
Philip Kaludercic