Subject: Re: bug#69132: [ELPA] Remove jQuery from elpa.gnu.org

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 09:13:17 -0500

>>>> But is there a reason we want it to look identical in all browsers?
>>> The end goal of a graphical design is usually a particular look.
>>> A handful of minor deviations would work against that.
>> The thing I hate most about the WWW is that it's running on*my*
>> computer but it's completely under the control of the web site.
>
> I can see where you're coming from.
>
> Most browsers allow user styles to override a web page. E.g. the Stylus
> extension (works in Firefox and Chromium). There's also userStyles.css.
>
> A good CSS reset would not get in the way of those, if only because it's
>   written not to conflict with developer's CSS. Rules with !important will
>   have higher priority.

I understand that you can circumvent such resets, but if all web-pages
need to start with a reset, then why don't all browsers start in the same
default CSS state?

In my world view, we should focus on the semantic content of our pages
to let the renderer decide how best to present it.

In any case, it seems that the only reason we currently have a reset is
so it looks the same everywhere.  If that's the case, I'm perfectly OK
with Philip's removal of the reset, since I don't think we should aim
for it to look the same everywhere (I'm pretty sure it won't look the
same on paper or in audio or in braille as it does on my screen anyway).

        Stefan