Subject: Re: bug#69132: [ELPA] Remove jQuery from elpa.gnu.org

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 00:49:56 +0200

On 18/02/2024 00:44, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>>>> Regarding your patch, I see you remove all the "reset" in the CSS.
>>>>> I'm not really sure we did that, but it's also not described and
>>>>> explained in the commit log of your patch.
>>>> AFAIR, CSS reset is a means to equalize the default looks of the basic
>>>> elements between different browsers.
>>> But was it just an arbitrary choice, or was there a particular reason
>>> for it?
>> Not sure I understand the question. When you start from a CSS reset (which
>> creates a bare-bones look), you more or less test in one browser and know
>> how the website looks in others. Modulo engine bugs, of course.
>>
>> Otherwise, to make the website look identical across browser, you have to
>> make sure to enumerate all disparities in your own styles.
> But is there a reason we want it to look identical in all browsers?

The end goal of a graphical design is usually a particular look.

A handful of minor deviations would work against that.