Subject: bug#69132: [ELPA] Remove jQuery from elpa.gnu.org

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 10:37:30 -0500

>> Works for me, but I'm not using an "older browser" 🙁
> I have a few older machines that I could try it out on.

I have plenty of old machines, but they're all running up-to-date
software 🙂

>> I know very little about Javascript, but I'm curious: can't we add the
>> `input` element directly in the HTML file, and skip those first 4 lines or so?
> Of course, I just replicated what the jquery plugin did.  I suppose
> the idea was to not have a broken search field labelled "Search
> packages...", if there is no Javascript to make it work in the
> first place.

FWIW this here user prefers to see the features that he's missing when
he's using a non-Javascript browser.  Anyway, it's only tangentially
related to your patch, so we can keep it for later.

Regarding your patch, I see you remove all the "reset" in the CSS.
I'm not really sure we did that, but it's also not described and
explained in the commit log of your patch.

> The idea is just to not use CSS classes to pinpoint specific Elements in
> the DOM.  That is what IDs are for (ideally the "ID -> elements" map
> should be injective).  I needed that to use document.getElementById in
> the new script.

> Should I update the commit messages to explain the change?

Yes, please.
While we're not picky about commit messages in (Non)GNU ELPA packages,
we should be careful to use good commit messages in the `main` (and
`elpa-admin`) branches.  Even more so for non-ELisp files since we can't
assume familiarity.

        Stefan