Subject: bug#6913: change file ownership/permissions from root to user fail even with success confirmation

From: John McMillan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 12:19:26 -0400

Need to change file ownership & permissions from root to my user/group 
(john/john). Using the test file Augustine.doc, I issue the command in 
terminal:

sudo chown john:john Augustine.doc

No error message returned but checking properties of the file it still 
is shown as root.

I then try it as root by entering su, the root passwork, and then 
entering the following command:

root@johndesk:~# chown -c john:john /media/C:/"Documents and 
Settings"/John/"My Documents"/Word/John/Augustine.doc

to which I receive the following confirmation -
changed ownership of `/media/C:/Documents and Settings/John/My 
Documents/Word/John/Augustine.doc' to john:john

However, again the properties/permissions tab of the file show owner & 
group as both root along with the footnote "You are not the owner; so 
you cannot change these permissions.".

Ubuntu 10.04 (lucid)
Kernel 2.6.32-24-generic (#41-Ubuntu SMP Thu Aug 19 01:38:40 UTC 2010)
GNOME 2.30.2 (Ubuntu 2010-06-25)
GCC version 4.4.3 (x86_64-linux-gnu)
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+, 2G memory

Bug report posted @ Ubuntu forums with no replies   
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1556760
Bug report also filed at Ubuntu Launchpad   
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/623390

John McMillan