Subject: [bug#69126] [PATCH 1/2] gnu: Add debug-assert.

From: "Paul A. Patience" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 14:02:42 +0000

Hello,

Thanks for reviewing my patches.

On 2024-02-14 16:29:05-05:00, Skyler Ferris wrote:
> `guix lint` issues a warning that the beginning of the description
> starts with a lowercase letter. IMO this is reasonable because the first
> word is the name of the project, and it is a common convention for
> project names to remain lowercased (the README in the project follows
> this convention). However I am not sure how the Guix maintainers
> consider this.

I was aware of the issue, and I share your opinion.
Sometimes project authors write the project name lowercased but in a
fixed-width font, in which case I use either @samp{} or @code{}, which
guix lint does not raise an error for.
However, this author does not, so I left it as such.
For what it's worth, I counted a few hundred instances of a lowercased
project name without @samp{} or @code{} in the first line of the
description across the Guix codebase.
I will leave it to the discretion of the committer.

> The arguments form is attached to a comment saying that there are no
> tests, but it looks like the repository does contain a test in the
> `test_package` directory with a separate CMakelists.txt file. I haven't
> spent much time with the cmake build system in Guix, would it be
> reasonable to replace the check phase with a procedure that uses the
> file in this directory? If not then it might be helpful to replace the
> comment with one explaining that, while tests exist, it is not feasible
> to run them for some specific reason.

The test_package directory seems to test the installation of
debug_assert with the Conan package manager, so there is nothing to do
here.

Best regards,
Paul