Subject: 30.0.50; Crash X server by enlarging the face

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 11:14:17 +0300

I am using following face:

Hide Default face: [sample]
    State : STANDARD.
   Basic default face.
   [X] Font Family: DejaVu Sans Mono
   [X] Font Foundry: PfEd
   [X] Width: Value Menu normal
   [X] Height: Value Menu Font size in 1/10 pt: 108
   [X] Weight: Value Menu regular
   [X] Slant: Value Menu normal
   [X] Underline: Value Menu Off
   [X] Overline: Value Menu Off
   [X] Strike-through: Value Menu Off
   [X] Box around text: Value Menu Off
   [X] Inverse-video: Value Menu Off
   [X] Foreground: #303030         Choose   (sample)
   [X] Background: #ffffff         Choose   (sample)
   [X] Stipple: Value Menu None
   [X] Extend: Value Menu Off
   [X] Inherit:

When I go to *Scratch* buffer, I can do C-x + to enlarge the face, and
if I go to larger face, at certain point the X server crashes. Emacs
remains in memory.

But because X server crashes, I cannot do again `$ startx'. What I do is
I open `emacsclient' in console and kill *Scratch* buffer, then I can go
again to `startx'. Emacs does not crash.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.18.0, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2024-02-10 built on lco
Repository revision: 7f3baf352bad03de50135556a561af0c7fb1bd6a
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101011
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux trixie/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-mailutils'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP
SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM
XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=exwm-xim
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 39648 9459) (symbols 48 5244 0) (strings 32 13578 1426)
 (string-bytes 1 323664) (vectors 16 9308)
 (vector-slots 8 112536 8380) (floats 8 40 19) (intervals 56 266 0)
 (buffers 976 11))

-- 
Jean

Take action in Free Software Foundation campaigns:
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/