Subject: bug#69097: [PATCH] Add 'kill-region-or-word' command

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2024 12:52:39 +0300

> From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked],
>   [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2024 14:54:58 +0100
> 
> +(defun forward-unix-word (arg &optional delim)
> +  "Move forward ARG unix-words.
> +A unix-word is whitespace-delimited.
> +Interactively, ARG is the numeric prefix argument, defaulting to 1.
> +A negative ARG means go backwards to the beginning of unix-words.

I again ask whether we need this command.  It is okay to have a
function (perhaps even an internal one) to move by Unix-words, but
what are the use cases for such a command?

> +(defun unix-filename-rubout (arg)
> +  "Kill ARG unix-words backwards, also treating `/' as whitespace.
> +A unix-word is whitespace-delimited.
> +Interactively, ARG is the numeric prefix argument, defaulting to 1.
> +A negative ARG means to kill forwards.
> +
> +This is like `unix-word-rubout' (which see), but `/' is also considered
> +whitespace.

I'd say '/' is treated as word delimiter.  "Considered whitespace"
sounds strange to me.

Should we also treat a backslash as delimiter, for MS-Windows?