Subject: bug#69097: [PATCH] Add 'kill-region-or-word' command

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2024 11:30:14 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],  [email-masked],
>>   [email-masked]
>> Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2024 20:06:00 +0000
>>
>> Ping.  I am not sure how to proceed on this patch.  IIRC the issue was
>> that the notion of a word differs in Emacs and in Bash.  I am still in
>> favour of utilising Emacs's definition, as it remains more useful
>> for some given major mode and the fact that it is easier to implement.
>
> Or you could make the defcustom a tristate, and implement both
> behaviors...
>
> As for how to proceed: Stefan and Andrea, do you have an opinion on
> this?

Binding C-w to backward-kill-word, or some version thereof, is an old
Emacs power user trick that has been recommended in many places over the
years.  See, for example:
https://sites.google.com/site/steveyegge2/effective-emacs#h.p_ID_193
https://emacs-fu.blogspot.com/2009/11/copying-lines-without-selecting-them.html

So I think this command would be a good addition.  Making the word
boundary behaviour into a tristate option sounds like a reasonable way
forward, which should make everyone happy and let people experiment with
what works best for them.