Subject: Re: bug#69097: [PATCH] Add 'kill-region-or-word' command

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2024 13:40:13 +0300

> From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 03 May 2024 07:37:03 +0000
> 
> Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > This is another useful command I find myself re-implementing every time
> > I use an unmodified Emacs, that I think would provide some nice
> > convenience for people used to classical Unix keybindings.
> 
> ping?  I had a discussion with RMS off-list and he seemed to be
> supportive of the change.

That's a problem with off-list discussions: no one knows about them.

More to the point, can you explain why we need this, given the
existence of kill-word?

Also, this kills backward, something that is not evident, neither from
the name of the command nor from the doc string (and the obscure
reference to Unix doesn't help, IMO).

Finally, having another command that kills the region doesn't seem
justified, or is it?