Subject: transient-mark-mode

From: Marco Bisetto <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 12:58:53 +0000

Hi all,

This is not a bug, it's a wrong feature:

- transient-mark-mode on by default is a bad idea

- transient-mark-mode is a bad idea per se: you must press more keys and
  waste energy for no reason

- Active Region Highlighting is nonsense if you use rectangles such as in
  C-x r t

- Active Region Highlighting is a pain if you change your mind and no more
  want to act on the region you just marked

* transient-mark-mode off by default is a possible workaround to this bad
  situation where everybody must set it to nil in the configuration file

Bye.

--
Marco Bisetto

A few releases ago theese three lines weren't necessary in .emacs.el:

(global-set-key [home] 'beginning-of-buffer)
(global-set-key [end] 'end-of-buffer)
(setq transient-mark-mode nil)